What's This All About?

Check out The ABC's of Insecurity and learn more.

What's so great about the Ivy League anyway?

Friday, May 1, 2009

This Is Where Our Christmas Tree Will Go. In 2011.

I'm a girl of my word (most of the time).  For those of you who weren't with me last week, I started chronicling the Happy Headache (a.k.a. the untimely-given-this-recession gut reno of our new place).

Anyway, so far, so good.  For now, the headache is still a happy one.  The vast majority of the debris is gone.  As are the ceilings.  And walls. And floors. And toilets.  

Last night, Husband and I held hands and tiptoed through the mess.  And while he was all smiles, presumably imagining a fairy tale future involving walls and floors and ceilings and our family, I was fixated on a major mystery.  Where do all the construction workers pee?

This lovely image here?  A fair representation of the ordered chaos.  See the ladder on the right?  That's exactly where our Christmas tree will go.  A Douglas Fir.  Because they last longer.  At least a ten footer.  And no, not in 2011.  I'm prone to hyperbole.  But not next year either.  We're talking 2010.  Toddler will be four and little Baby two. Crazy.

Yes, I tend to focus on the odd, indulgent details.  Like where construction workers pee and where the tree will go.  Which is probably why I didn't last long at the firm.  I was much more interested in the symbolism of the shimmering tin of chicken fried rice that sad senior associate scarfed every night hunched over her cluttered desk than the fact that she and I were engaged in the common and noble cause of defending yet another CEO.

But I digress.  For now, the Happy Headache is more happy than headache.  Until next week...

1 comment:

  1. Don't despair, it will come together. We went through a gut renovation 7 years ago this Mother's Day when dd was 11 months and ds was a twinkle. We put 2 apartments together created a new kitchen where the living room was, 2 new bathrooms and 3 bedrooms. It took longer than we expected and cost more and for a year afterward Overdraft and beans were our best friends! But we survived it and now have a great family space now that suits us extremely well. A tip, try not to let your toddlers ingest construction debris, let's just say one site visit was a bit more harrowing than it needed to be! Good luck!
    Yours in highlights (though more in roots for me right now),
    D

    ReplyDelete

Join the conversation. What do you think? Be honest. Be bold. Tell me I'm wrong. Tell me about that typo. Tell me I'm splendid. Or tell me I'm spoiled. But if you want your comment to be seen, keep it clean.

Twitter Updates

    follow me on Twitter