What's This All About?

Check out The ABC's of Insecurity and learn more.

What's so great about the Ivy League anyway?

Sunday, July 5, 2009

Clichés Are Cute

Well, we are home, sweet home apartment. And, yes, this is a cliche because it is a saying, expression, idea, or element of an artistic work which has been overused to the point of losing its original meaning or effect. But I think we should give cliches a chance. They are cute. They are overused because they are true or ring true for the people who utter them.

I think as a society we are problematically obsessed with originality. Yes, we should all strive for novelty and ingenuity in our work and in our lives. But we can't always be original. So, no, I'm not reinventing the wheel here (another lovely platitude). I'm using a tired old saying to convey something that is profoundly and predictably true: I'm happy to be home. To be surrounded by familiar toys and cats and mail-piles and other cliched clutter. And anyway I'm too tired to utter something original.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Join the conversation. What do you think? Be honest. Be bold. Tell me I'm wrong. Tell me about that typo. Tell me I'm splendid. Or tell me I'm spoiled. But if you want your comment to be seen, keep it clean.

Twitter Updates

    follow me on Twitter