What's This All About?

Check out The ABC's of Insecurity and learn more.

What's so great about the Ivy League anyway?

Wednesday, April 22, 2009

When Life Gets Heavy, I Get Highlights

The morning at Dalton was nothing short of wonderful, but I wouldn't say it was easy.  Why is it that the hardest and heaviest things we do in life are also the most memorable and rewarding? 

So, what did I do after this meaningful celebration of Dad's legacy?  After hearing a wonderful panel of environmentalists speak about sustainability?  No, I didn't rush home and switch out my energy-inefficient bulbs.  I went to lunch with Mom and then shoe shopping.  And then I went to Oscar Blandi to go a little more blonde-y. 

Now Dad would never approve of this.  Not on Earth Day. Not on any day.  I hear his voice now: Maidy-Bunks Picnic (you've gotta love nicknames), don't mess with Mama Nature.

But even with his crackly voice echoing in my head, I marched right down Madison and right up those steps and right toward that swiveling chair and I let the genius man (Kyle White) work his magic, twisting my hair into tiny tin foils.  And a little while later, I walked out, my hair and my mind a bit lighter.  And as I hailed a taxi cab to take me home to my waiting baby girls and inefficient light bulbs, I was still thinking of Dad.  And it occurred to me that wherever he is fly-fishing these days, he is looking down (or up, or sideways) at me, Daughter #3, with his blue eyes and philosophical fire and silly faux tresses, enjoying one of those big bold belly laughs I miss deeply.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Join the conversation. What do you think? Be honest. Be bold. Tell me I'm wrong. Tell me about that typo. Tell me I'm splendid. Or tell me I'm spoiled. But if you want your comment to be seen, keep it clean.

Twitter Updates

    follow me on Twitter